Local Resources Amidst COVID-19 Public Health Crisis
[Last updated: May 5, 2020]
Times are challenging and difficult. More than ever, we need to rely on each other.
When our elected officials at the national level fail to provide guidance, our local elected and community leaders need to step up. It’s beautiful to see the leadership and collective power of our partner organizations and communities coming together to create strategies for next steps at the local and statewide level, and paving the way for real solutions to our current public health crisis. We are grateful to the Oakland community for pulling together in dire times of need.
Oakland Rising staff and all employees have transitioned to remote work for the time being, and we continue to work closely with our Partners to strategize around local demands, policy priorities, campaign work, and mutual aid resource networks.
Here are some Oakland-based resources that you and your loved ones might find useful:
– Free COVID testing for Alameda County residents in Oakland (can qualify if: over 65+, exposed to CV-19, severe underlying medical condition, are a homeless shelter or outreach worker, healthcare worker, recently released from incarceration, or unhoused in Alameda County).
– Free COVID-19 Testing for City of San Francisco residents (available for essential workers working in San Francisco with or without symptoms, and San Francisco residents with symptoms or exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the past 14 days)
– County of Alameda COVID-19 Food Distribution & Services Map
– Meals on Wheels
– Alameda County Community Food Bank
– Free “grab and go” breakfast and lunches for OUSD students and their families during school closures
– CalFresh Recipients Will Now Be Able to Make Purchases Online
Housing Rights & Evictions
– Oakland Moratorium Guide FAQ
– More information on Oakland’s Eviction Moratorium from District 2 Councilmember Nikki Fortunato Bas
– Protect Oakland Renters – Oakland Evictions Moratorium FAQ (available in Spanish and Chinese)
– The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office has temporarily suspended all evictions.
– Our Partner Causa Justa::Just Cause’s Know Your Rights Clinic workshops are suspended until further notice. The bilingual (English/Spanish) Tenant Hotline is still available for Oakland residents and checked daily. Call (510) TENANTS (836-2687) to leave a voicemail and a volunteer will get back to you. More info here.
– To learn more about your rights, consult the Oakland Tenant Rights Handbook.
– Gov. Newsom’s State of Emergency has triggered statewide anti-gouging laws. If your landlord is charging or advertising rent at 10% above, it is now illegal. Here’s a letter you can send to your landlord. (This sample letter was created during the fire emergency response last year; please make sure to change the dates and update the governor’s name.)
– Emergency financial assistance and services for residents facing evictions.
– Alameda County housing and renting aid programs
– Alameda County housing and utility assistance
– Keep Oakland Housed provides emergency financial assistance and services to residents at risk of losing their housing.
– List of Temporary Local Covid-19 Residential Eviction Protections in California
– COVID-19 Emergency Housing Referral (San Francisco)
Workers & Paid Sick Leave
– For questions or concerns about Oakland’s Paid Sick Day Law, contact the Fair Labor Oakland hotline at (510) 646-0521. Thanks to our partner East Bay Alliance for a Sustainable Economy for winning this resource for Oaklanders!
– City of Oakland’s Sick Leave Law and COVID-19
– File a Complaint through the City of Oakland
– Resources for Non-Essential and Sick/Supporting Sick Workers (broken down by County)
– Non-Essential Business Violation Tracker
– Business and Worker Resources
– California Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) for business owners, self-employed, independent contractors, people who have exhausted their regular unemployment benefits. Will begin taking applications on April 28.
– Onward California: A One-Stop Resource for Californians Impacted by Job Loss
– Asian Americans Advancing Justice: Resources for Workers on the COVID-19 Crisis (including resources in English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Spanish, Urdu, Farsi, and Arabic)
– Department of Labor: Employee Rights: Paid Sick Leave and Expanded Family and Medical Leave Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
Health & Wellbeing
– CalMatters: Wear a mask! Ok, but what kind?
– Purchase Homemade Masks for the Movement
– CA Surgeon General’s Playbook: Stress Relief during COVID-19
– CA Surgeon General’s Playbook: Stress Relief for Caregivers and Kids during COVID-19
– #NoBodyIsDisposable Know Your Rights Guide for Surviving COVID-19 Triage Protocols
– Information for Domestic Violence Survivors
Immigrant & Undocumented Community
– Statewide resources for the Undocumented community
– State of California’s COVID-19 Guide for Immigrant Families
– Oakland Undocumented Relief Fund
– List of relief funds for undocumented workers in California
– Immigrant Families Fund
– Equality Labs: COVID-19 Community Guides in 13 South Asian languages including Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Punjabi, Urdu, Nepali, Burmese, Bengali, Marathi
– Free Wi-fi Provided by Xfinity
– Resources for organizers
– Sign-up for APEN COVID-19 Daily News Roundup
– National Lawyers Guild: Know Your Rights during COVID-19
– Tool for Lowering Student Loan Payments
Let’s continue to keep our neighbors safe and care for our most vulnerable. Remember, #PowerNotPanic. We will prevail as we always have, in community.
Oakland, CA 94612
Get our email updates and stay connected.
Oakland Rising is a project from our hearts for the people of Oakland. Thank you for your contribution!