JOB ANNOUNCEMENT (Posted September 21, 2016)
VOTER OUTREACH WORKER
Oakland Rising (a fiscally sponsored project of Movement Strategy Center) is an 8-year old collaboration of Oakland-based social justice organizations that have a long-term, shared vision for building progressive political power in Oakland. We are committed to building a powerful forward-thinking electorate rooted in low-income, immigrant and communities of color, exercising and expanding our political influence to advance a set of progressive values and policies, aligning our organizations and coordinating with other progressive forces to realize and sustain a progressive vision for Oakland. Oakland Rising is a collaboration between the Asian Pacific Environmental Network, Bend the Arc, Causa Justa::Just Cause, East Bay Alliance for a Sustainable Economy, Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, Mujeres Unidas Y Activas, Parent Voices Oakland, Communities United for Restorative Youth Justice, and St. Mary’s Center.
Our current work focuses on three major goals through which we are developing critical and key pieces of infrastructure necessary to build progressive power in Oakland:
1. Build a permanent political/electoral infrastructure;
2. Exercise and expand political influence; and
3. Align organizations and coordinate with other progressive forces.
Voter Outreach Worker
We are currently seeking to fill positions on our paid outreach team. Voter outreach workers will be responsible for contacting thousands of Oakland residents by phone and door-to-door contact.
***To be considered for the position please email or text Tracey@OaklandRising.org or text 510-975-5409***
Please bring your completed application and proper IDs for hire to the hiring event. For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 510-290-8508.
SCHEDULE: Shifts are 5 days a week for Phone Team and 6 days a week for Walk Team for 5-8 hours per day, starting Sunday October 2nd and ending Tuesday, November 8th.
PAY: $15 per hour
FOOD: Lunch or dinner will be provided each workday
- Must be on-time, reliable, and able to work every day listed on the calendar
- Dedication to personal improvement and improvement of Oakland
- Ability to talk clearly and concisely to hundreds of people a day about issues facing our communities
- Ability to work 5-8 hours per day, six days a week, either phone-banking or going door-to-door in East and West Oakland
- Physical ability to do lots of walking
- Positive attitude, team player and interest in leadership development
- Basic computer skills are a requirement
- Ability to fill out accurate daily reports
1. Ability and willingness to take direction and guidance from the Field Director and Team Leader
2. Previous experience working on a campaign, with a community organization, doing sales, or customer service is a plus
3. Car a definite plus
4. Bilingual English-Spanish or English-Cantonese is a plus. Fluency in English required.
5. Familiarity with East and West Oakland is a plus.